Whenever people do not need anything like papers, books, leaves, mulches, clothes, they think burning is the only option. But, did you ever think how much burning is dangerous for the environment and YOU?
Before one or two days ago, my neighbor cleaned her garden. In the time of cleaning, she got numerous pieces of grass from her groomed garden.
So she thought of throwing them into the ponds because her neighbor gave her an idea about tossing them. But she was aware of pollution. So she was looking for the quickest way to remove it. So she was about to burn all the small pieces of grass.
What do you think: Is this the right way?
However, today I will talk about the small and unwanted grass clippings because many of the gardeners are confused and want to know whether can you burn grass clippings or not?
In this garden gild guide we’ll discuss the following:
- Why should you not burn leaves?
- Is it wrong to leave grass clippings on the lawn?
- Is it okay to burn leaves in the backyard?
- Is burning leaf toxic?
- How to build a safe incinerator?
- Do grass clippings increase thatch?
Can you burn grass clippings?
Yes, you can burn grass clippings, but it is considered a crime and prohibited by many countries and states in many countries. So I think you should be aware before burning anything, follow the terms and conditions.
It depends on the time. Many people are doing this almost everywhere to get rid of grass clippings, but I think you all should change your mind regarding this because it can be dangerous for the surroundings you live in.
I guess if you want to get rid of grass clippings from your beautiful garden, you should think differently in a good way. So I want to give you some ideas about getting rid of the grass clippings.
This is much better than burning.
- You can use grass clippings as a mulch
- Donate it to farmers and the people who need it
- Compost them
- Sell the grass clippings to the people who need them if it is possible
- Make the grass clippings into a liquid texture, which can help you to reduce the number of mosquitoes around your garden or house
- If you have any animals like Guinea pigs or rabbits, you can feed them
I think this can be a good idea if you can implement it so that nothing is wasted. And there can be a chance to reduce the pollution in your area at least.
Why should you not burn leaves?
You should ask yourself why you should burn leaves? Burning is not a good idea at all, and I’m many areas, it is announced you should not burn leaves.
The reasons you should not burn leaves are:
- If the leaves or trees reduce the environment, who will take the carbon dioxide from the atmosphere? Have you ever thought like that? Burning leaves increase the rate of pollution and increase the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere
- You may suffer from different types of diseases which are related to breathing problems, such as asthma.
- When carbon monoxide is found in the atmosphere due to the burning of the leaves, there can be a chance to produce a chemical byproduct known as benzo(a) pyrene. This byproduct can reduce the amount of oxygen in your body and causes a breathing disease for a long time.
- There are many different types of leaves, such as tobacco, rosary tea, water hemlock, etc., which contain poison. Therefore, if you burn them, more dangers can be seen in the atmosphere.
Is it wrong to leave grass clippings on the lawn?
Not at all. It is not harmful to leave grass clippings on the lawn because they help to turn into Natural fertilizer that can keep your property. It is better than burning. And it can increase the growth of the grass.
But it looks terrible if you stay on the clean grass. You can do any of the following methods which I showed you above.
It may cause some problems, like if you put extra cut grass on the top of the cleaned, cut grass, sunlight can not be directly passed through the desired plants or grasses on the lawn.
Is it okay to burn leaves in the backyard?
As I said, burning leaves in any place is not a good idea. If you need to remove the leaves, you can burn a small amount of grass, flowers, etc., because they can be burned quickly, but still, it is the same thing.
Whatever the amount is, if you burn leaves, it will cause pollution, which can cause different types of allergies, respiratory problems, and so on.
Is burning leaf toxic?
Yes, burning leaves are toxic because the smoke from the burning leaves produces carbon monoxide, a poisonous odorless, colorless gas. This carbon monoxide can get mixed with hemoglobin in the blood and reduce oxygen in the lungs.
Moreover, some toxic leaves such as tobacco contain carcinogens- it can cause irritants, breathing difficulties, chest pain, inflammation, etc.
How to build a safe incinerator?
Creating a safe incinerator is essential for your garden because sometimes it is required to burn extra leftover grasses, and it is also less time-consuming if you burn.
There are different kinds of incinerator, so you need to understand the purpose and output. It is not difficult to build; you need:
- Aluminum trash
- Make some hole in the aluminum trash
- Some bricks
- Some waste to keep inside the trash
First, you need to have a big container. Cut the front lower part of the can. Put some waste into the big aluminum can, and it is essential to keep this container in the areas where the volatile components can be controlled. Keep some brick under the container for support. Fill some waste such as grasses, leaves, and debris into this and just put fire for burning.
Do grass clippings increase thatch?
Grass clippings do not increase thatch, but it is beneficial because it helps to decompose and acts as an insulator. But if the temperature is high and there is too much moisture, it can cause problems.
Reducing pollution is our duty. So we have to know the proper method and proper maintenance should be done. So if you have questions regarding any topics, be our guest to learn more.