Celery root is a not-so-popular yet expensive vegetable. Although its appearance is unpleasant, its benefits make people curious about trying this vegetable.
Here in this article, I’ll give you some more information about celeriac.
In this garden gild guides we’ll discuss the following:
- Is celery root a starchy vegetable?
- Can you eat celery root?
- Is celery root the root of celery?
- Does celery have any nutritional value?
- What happens if you eat celery every day?
Is celery a root vegetable?
The celery we usually get from the supermarket is not a root vegetable. Instead, it is the stalk part of ‘Apium Graveolens’, commonly known as celery. However, there’s a close relative of this vegetable belonging to the same ‘Apiaceae’ family .’called ‘celeriac,’ which is eaten as a root vegetable.
Celeriac or turnip-rooted celery contains tiny roots attached to its round, fat hypocotyl. Although both are from the same plant, celeriac is being produced only for its potato-like knobby root.
Is celery root a starchy vegetable?
If you want a low-carb alternative for root vegetables, then celeriac is a fantastic preference. Celery root is relatively less rich in carbohydrates if compared to other root vegetables. It has only 8.85 grams of carbohydrate per 150 grams when boiled.
However, it contains 13.8 grams of carbohydrates per 150 grams in its uncooked state.
Since it has a minimal amount of carbs, it can be considered a non-starchy one. As celeriac is non-starchy, it is abundant in various phytochemicals such as vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin K and is rich in various vital minerals.
Can you eat celery root?
Celeriac is a bulbous tuber that is originated from the celery plant. Although its flavors resemble the stalk of celery, the texture is similar to that of potatoes. Turnip-rooted celery is not only the powerhouse of nutrition but is also packed with necessary minerals such as Manganese(Mn), Potassium (K), phosphorus(P), etc.
To maintain a healthy body, a healthy diet is mandatory. And as a dietitian, I’ll recommend you add celery root to your diet. It not only has less carb quantity but also is rich in many vital nutrients.
You can eat it raw by incorporating it into your salad or coleslaw. Or you can also eat it cooked in different ways. For example, you can boil it first and mash it then. And Voila!
You have delicious mashed celeriac. You can also cook it with soup. Roasted celeriac is also very flavorful.
Is celery root the root of celery?
It is a misconception that the root of celery is the celery root. However, the fact is they are cousins. Both of these are offsprings of the wild celery. Knob celery is an aboriginal of the Mediterranean region.
It was not very known to the world in the 19th century. But now it is gaining popularity for its healthy contents.
Celery is cultivated for its stalks and leaves. On the other hand, celeriac is cultivated for its knobby root inside the soil. Although they taste very similar, celeriac has a punch of nuttiness and more earthy flavors.
I often get this question if we can use celeriac instead of celery. But the answer to this question is ‘no’. This is because they’ve got a very distinct texture, although their taste is quite indistinguishable. So they are not substitutable.
Does celery have any nutritional value?
Celery Is not only delightful but also loaded with benefits for our health. Many people know that celery has fewer calories. Still, they are not aware that this vegetable is abundant in antioxidants and many other nutritional elements.
Today I’ll tell you about the nutritional content present in a stalk of celery.
- Celery is rich in vitamins like Vitamin A, Vitamin K, and Vitamin C, which helps regulate the body’s growth and helps in increasing the disease prevention ability of the body.
- Being abundant in minerals such as manganese( Mn), potassium(K), phosphorus(P), Iron (Fe), sodium(Na) etc., can help to neutralize acidity. It is also important for carrying out various physiological functions of the body.
- It helps to maintain osmoregulation as it contains about 90% of water.
- Celery contains polysaccharides that are pectin-based. For example, an element called ‘apiuman’ reduces the probability of stomach ulcers, develops the stomach lining, and decreases the possibility of dangerous diseases like cancer.
- Digestion is improved as it contains a good amount of roughage.
- Celery contains more than 20 anti-inflammatory substances that can resist inflammation in your body.
- A single stalk of celery contains as many as 15 kinds of antioxidants such as beta carotene and other phytochemicals. This protects RBC, tissues, and body organs from internal damages.
- A phytochemical ‘phthalides’ present in celery can control the blood flow of the body.
- An extract taken from celery seed L-3-n-butylphthalide improves not only cognition but also memory. It might be of help in treating Alzheimer’s
The quantity of nutrients present in 100 grams of celeriac is given below:
|Nutrients present||In raw state||In Boiled state|
|1. Carbohydrate||9 grams||6 grams|
|2. protein||1.5-1.6 grams||0.9-1 grams|
|3. Lipid||0.2-0.3 grams||0.1-0.2 grams|
|4. Roughage||1.8-2 grams||1.0-1.2 grams|
For more guide about health benefits of celery, watch this:
What happens if you eat celery every day?
I will recommend you include a proportionate amount of celery in your diet advised by a professional dietitian. Because if you take it daily in less quantity, it can cause malnutrition.
As it is a low-calorie vegetable and not taking the right amount necessary for your body is the cause of this undernutrition. It can also cause gastrointestinal problems. Again taking too much of it can cause diarrhea and even bloating.
So it would help if you were careful in taking the right quantity of celery.
people also ask
1. Why is celery root so expensive?
Celery root is not inexpensive at all. It is because of all the fame it gained for its amazing advantages. When people found out that celery root is low-calorie and can be eaten as a substitute for high-calorie vegetables, it became popular worldwide.
As a result, its prices went up high. Another reason because which this price escalation happened is terrible weather in the places where it grows. So it becomes difficult to transport those from one place to another.
2. What is a substitute for celery root?
It is nearly impossible to find one if you’re looking for an exact substitute for celery root. But some vegetables might be able to do the job for you.
For example, using the same quantity of parsley root or chopping celery stalks and leaves. Using chopped turnips or carrots with a nip of celery seed might help too.
in Conclusion: Is celery a root vegetable?
I hope this article will help you in knowing more about celery roots. This will also encourage you to incorporate celery roots into your diet.