Lemons are one of the components that change the taste of all kinds of food. But do you know how difficult it is to remove the thorns of the lemon trees?
Today, I will talk about lemon trees. Many people who love lemon wanted to know whether the lemon trees have spikes, sharp thorns or not.
Do Lemon Trees Have Thorns? All lemon trees have no thorns, but some have thorns such as mandarin orange, navel orange, Meyer lemon, key lime, kaffir lime, tangerine tangelo, satsuma, kumquat, grapefruit, Mexican lime, etc.
And the numbers of thrones and sharpness can be varied according to the types of different species of lemon. They are commonly found in Jungles or wild areas, but if you want to plant these lemon trees at home, you need to be careful while picking up the lemons from the trees.
In this garden gild guide we’ll discuss the following:
- Are there any lemon trees without thorns?
- How do you remove thorns from lemon trees?
- Are our lemon trees thorn poisonous?
- Why do some lemon branches have thorns?
- Do lemon trees with thorns produce fruits?
- When should lemon trees be pruned?
Are there any lemon trees without thorns?
Some lemon trees with no thorns include eureka lemons, Fallglo Tangerine, Dancy tangerine, Persian lime, Daney Tangerine, etc.
Do not be confused with just a simple orange! Thornless lemons generally have fewer seeds than the lemon, which has thorns, and they are best for planting in the home garden.
How do you remove thorns from lemon trees?
Removing thorns from lemon trees can be difficult because the thorns are too sharp and sparky. There is no specific time for cutting or removing thorns. Whenever you need lemons, you can do it.
There are some easy steps in which we can remove thorns from lemon trees. They are:
- As the lemon thorns are too sharp, you need to wear protective gloves that the spikes of the lemons can not touch.
- Having a proper instrument is very important for cutting. It will help if you have a small handled saw, scissors, knives. Before that, please put some antiseptic chemicals on the tools because these types of spikey woods can be affected by bacteria, fungi, etc.
- After preparing all the tools you need for cutting lemon thorns from the trees, you have to remove the deadwood from the slightly thin branches of the trees because it would be easy for you if you take thin branches and take your saw in proper directions followed by 45 degrees angle. One more important thing to understand about cutting lemons from the trees is that you have to be careful so that other lemons do not get damaged. If you are not experienced, you can take help from others.
- If the size of the lemon thorns is small, you can trim to remove the sharp edges swiftly because doing it manually takes time and is dangerous for you. Maintain your comfort zone in the time of cutting or removing thorns from the lemon trees.
Are our lemon trees thorn poisonous?
No, lemon tree thorn is not poisonous, and it does not contain any harmful compounds. But you know, lemon tree thorns look like a thin needle, and pain is almost the same as you usually get from sharp objects when it goes into the skin.
And if you mistakenly contact the lemon tree thorn with your fingers or any parts of the body, it is better to go to Doctor. Because these types of thorns can be targeted by different types of microorganisms that can carry pathogens into your body, they also may cause severe infection and irritation.
According to the study of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, lemon tree thorns can be toxic for domestic animals such as cats, dogs or horses, etc., if their body comes into contact with the sharp edges of the thorn.
Why do some lemon branches have thorns?
Have you ever seen an echidna or a thorny dragon in your life? If you have not seen it, I think you have heard about them from others or books. They use their spikey body to invade their enemies.
It is also the same case for some lemon branches. Thorns are one of the essential parts of the lemon trees because it helps to reduce the hydration and make it less thirsty in dry areas. They usually do this by capturing watery substances around the plants that behave as a packet of water.
This is an imaginary sword because it protects the fleshy and juicy lemon against harmful insects or animals. But thorns will not give any protection for you, sadly, unless you are careful while picking up the lemons from the trees connected with thorns!
Do lemon trees with thorns produce fruits?
Lemon trees with thorns can produce fruits above the graft union. It usually grows at a 90-degree angle. Fruits can be developed, but it faces some difficulties unless you remove or diminish the numbers of thorns growing on the trees.
So the thing you can do is when it will grow for a while, it will be better if you slowly remove the thorns attached to the sides of the lemon trees. Removing the thorns will be a good idea.
However, these thorns can cause problems because as the lemon becomes mature, the thorns on the trees become more extended, sharper, and pointy. So at the time of removal, you have to face a lot of trouble.
Having thorns on the fruit increases the chance of spreading infection and various types of contagious diseases. These consequences are usually seen in the areas where there are windy, moist, or high temperatures.
When should lemon trees be pruned?
The best time to prune lemon trees is spring, and you never should prune the lemon trees in the month between November to March because this is when the insect will want to attract the thorns of the lemons.
It depends on the weather, environmental conditions, etc. The better the climate, the better the growth of the lemons.
The critical thing to be noted:
- It would help if you did not cut or prune immature lemons until they grow up entirely because it is not suitable for health and has a bitter flavor. No juiciness, Just sticky components like a syrup you will find when you try to remove it.
- The suitable time to prune the mature lemon from the trees is after every harvest, and you can do this two times a year.
If you want to know more about the different types of uncommon or common fruits or vegetables and garden-related topics, be our guest and share this post with your friends, relatives, and family.